Hospital Santa Monica        Back

Dental Toxicity

The accepted practice of most American dentists for several generations has been to treat tooth decay by “drilling and filling” using “silver fillings.”  Silver fillings are actually a mixture of silver, copper, tin and zinc amalgamated (dissolved) with mercury.  The amount of mercury in these composites is approximately 50 %.  Older fillings may have an even greater percentage of mercury.
Mercury is more poisonous than any other metal except plutonium.  Although the safety of dental filling material containing mercury has been debated in dental circles since the 1800’s, the official opinion of The American and British Dental Association is that when mercury is combined with other metals and used in dental amalgam fillings, the toxic properties of mercury are rendered harmless.  We now know that this is false propaganda!
The “silver” fillings in your teeth — dental amalgams — are still widely used by the dental profession in most parts of the world.  There is now a growing mountain of evidence that it is NOT safe to do so.  Some countries, like Sweden, Canada and Germany, have either banned or imposed serious limitations on amalgam usage.
There is now compelling evidence from reputable scientific bodies such as the World Health Organization that, despite claims from pro-amalgam bodies, such as The American and British Dental Association, mercury is NOT “locked” safely in the metal bonds in the teeth; but can leak slowly into the body, often causing severe illnesses.  These are reckoned to possibly include; chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease and a whole range of “auto-immune” illnesses.  In fact, just by damaging the immune system, dental amalgams could be contributing to an even broader range of illnesses.
The mercury present in the filling is not the only problem with dental fillings. A phenomenon called “electro galvanism,” or electricity in the mouth is also a problem.  This phenomenon is created when dissimilar metals are present in the mouth, such as mercury amalgam mixtures and gold, resulting in an electric current being established in the mouth.  This phenomenon can cause electrochemical reactions to take place, analogous to the electroplating reactions used in the production of jewelry.  Additionally, bacteria can use food and other organic debris trapped in between teeth as a food source.  One of the byproducts of the bacteria is acid; which can directly affect the teeth, as well as, contribute to the electrochemical reaction of the fillings.  The result is a “battery-like” effect, which can release mercury from the fillings and, potentially, cause a direct electrical stimulus to the pituitary and hypothalamus glands.
Studies have linked mercury exposure from the environment with a number and variety of illnesses including allergies, chronic fatigue, depression, Gl disorders, immune systems suppression, periodontal disease, neurological problems, reproductive disorders, birth defects, kidney disease, heart problems, hypertension, respiratory disorders and skin disease.  Mercury can interfere with any process or organ in the body, since it is poisonous to all cells, but it has a marked effect on the immune system.  This has been shown by research indicating, the presence of mercury amalgam fillings in the mouth reducing the immune system efficiency by one-third to one-half!  If a person has a chronic health problem for which a cause has not been found and mercury fillings are present in the mouth, mercury toxicity may be a contributing factor.
To test whether an individual's mercury levels may be the cause of the problem, one can use the compound 2, 3-Dimercaptosuccinic Acid (DMSA) to chelate (bind to) mercury in a provocative oral dose.  Analyzing mercury in a collection of urine over the subsequent six (6) hours can give an indication of the mercury burden of the body tissues.
Care must be given during the process used in the removal of fillings containing mercury and should be done by a qualified dentist.  The dentists at the Hospital Santa Monica dental office specialize in the safe removal of all types of metal fillings and crowns.  Large-scale unprotected removal can generate new illness or make the chronic condition worse if special precautions are not followed.  Amalgams should be removed according to a sequence determined by their electrical potential.  The physical removal process must also guard against exposure of the patient (as well as the dentist) to the mercury dust and vapors of the drilling process.  Our protocol includes the administration of a vitamin C IV drip, 30 minutes prior to the start of removal of the amalgam, the use of high flow oxygen, high vacuum suction, the use of a rubber dam tooth isolation procedure and protective eye wear.  This insures optimal protection during the procedure. Post removal requires chelation therapy.  Remember that the American and British Dental Associations are very reluctant to acknowledge the toxicity of mercury amalgam fillings and that many dentists may not be fully aware of the special handling steps necessary in the safe removal process.
Along with replacing the fillings, it is important for the patient to coordinate with a physician who can help in the process of safe removal of mercury from the body.  The chelating agent, DMSA, can be administered orally to facilitate the removal of mercury from tissue (organ) storage sites.  It is best used in conjunction with the removal of mercury amalgam fillings.  Additionally, nutrient supplementation is an integral part of the recovery process, providing the body with the tools needed to correct and compensate for the toxicity of the metal in the body.

What is DMSA?   DMSA is an abbreviation for 2, 3-Dimercaptosuccinic Acid.  It is also marketed under the trade names ‘Chemet” and ‘Succimer.”  It is an FDA approved drug for treatment of lead toxicity in children.  DMSA is also an excellent oral chelating agent for removing mercury from the body.  It crosses the blood brain barrier and removes toxic mercury from the brain and other body tissues.
What happens after the course of DMSA is concluded?  It is recommended that a dentist knowledgeable in the proper procedure of amalgam filling removal be consulted within one month and mercury amalgam fillings be replaced with composite or gold.
What happens if mercury amalgam fillings are not replaced?   It is emphatically recommended that mercury amalgam fillings be properly replaced.  If this is not done or is postponed, it is predictable that tissue levels of mercury in the body will build up again as mercury is constantly released from the teeth.  In such cases, periodically repeating urine mercury testing and a course of DMSA chelation therapy is recommended.
Can DMSA be taken the day of and day after dental work involving mercury amalgam in order to remove any “stray” amalgam (mercury) from the body?   Yes
Are there any side effects to using DMSA?   There are usually little, if any, side effects to DMSA at the recommended dose.  However, in some cases, as the body rids itself of the mercury, there could be some detoxification symptoms that might occur.  If this is the case, the temporary ill effects of those symptoms are far less of a problem than the permanent ill effect of high levels of mercury in the tissue.
What kind of improvement should be noted using the DMSA?   Most commonly, as the mercury is removed from the system, people will notice an improvement in short-term memory, sharper concentration and a decrease in “foggy” thinking.

Palladium (PD) is a silver-white ductile and malleable metal that belongs to the platinum group.  Its atomic weight is 106; its melting point is 1557 degrees Celsius.  Palladium is found in the platinum mines of Russia, Canada and Columbia and is used in electrical contacts; as a catalyst and in gold, silver and copper alloys.
The use of “Gold” in dentistry dates back to ancient times and, today, the gold used by dentists still contains dangerous amounts of palladium.  German holistic medical doctors refer to palladium as the “fool's gold” of dentistry, because it may be more dangerous than mercury.  We use only Bio/2000 Palladium-free Gold, which is 99.7% pure gold.  This assures that you will be 100% protected from any and all dangerous toxins.  Also, by using Bio/2000 Gold, or other palladium-free gold, we can create a tooth that is very natural looking and also has the strength to withstand extreme amounts of pressure and that will last longer than pure porcelain.
The amount of palladium used today in making dental crowns and bridges varies considerably.  The more durable “gold” and “silver” fillings or crowns may contain up to 78.5% of other dangerous heavy metals.
Like mercury, palladium is biomethylated in the digestive tract and, once synthesized, these methylated metals are invariably more toxic than their inorganic substrates.
This toxicity is thought to be due to the non polar nature of many organometallic compounds, which allows them to diffuse rapidly into and through cell membranes.  Dr. Elef Karkalis, MD, of Oppenheim Germany, believes that methylated palladium is more toxic than methylated mercury; which is known to cause severe neurological disorders, including insanity.  Methyl mercury interacts with phospholipids, causing neurotoxicity.  Methyl mercury poisoning has affected people around the world and the industrial dumping of mercury by products into lakes and streams has contaminated even the fish we eat.
Using gold that contains palladium is to be considered equally or possibly even more dangerous to your health than mercury.  You can be assured that we are committed to using all Bio-Dentistry procedures and nontoxic materials in creating a beautiful and safe smile!  Perhaps you should plan to have a dental evaluation and/or needed dental work done while you are being treated at Hospital Santa Monica.