TG-1 * Transgallaxys Forum 1

Advanced search  

News:

We are Allaxys
We moved our news front to http://www.allaxys.com

The Forum 1 on Transgallaxys.com is only a backup archive!

Twin Update 8.5.2023

Because of their sabotage the Net nazis
"Amazon Data Services Nova", Ashburn, United States
"Amazon Data Services" Singapore
"Amazon Data Services" Japan
ARE BLOCKED

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Susan Rogers of the Oklahoma Board of Dentistry on Dr. Scott HarringtonBy Kevin  (Read 4585 times)

Zoran

Dieser Vorfall schreibt Medizingeschichte. Er offenbart, wie skrupellos in der Zahnmedizin gepfuscht wird. Ein Einzelfall? Ganz sicher nicht! In einem der Kommentare wird der unhaltbare Zustand in den USA beschrieben: In einigen Bundesstaaten kann sich der Zahnarzt ungelernte Hilfskräfte auf der Straße einsammeln und selbst "trainieren".

[*quote*]
in some states, including my own, dentists can still hire someone off the street and "train them their way." This is a perfect example why formal training and certification is necessary and should be required, so that patients are not put at risk.
[*/quote*]

Das Desaster:

http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/2013/03/exclusive-interview-with-susan-rogers-of-the-oklahoma-board-of-d.html

[*quote*]
Dentistry iQ

Exclusive interview with Susan Rogers of the Oklahoma Board of Dentistry on Dr. Scott Harrington

By Kevin Henry
Managing Editor, Dental Economics
Susan Rogers of the Oklahoma Board of Dentistry

Susan Rogers (pictured above) fields questions during a recent news conference in Tulsa, Okla. (Photo: Cory Young/Tulsa World)

Susan Rogers, who is the executive director of the Oklahoma Board of Dentistry, spoke with Kevin Henry of DentistryIQ.com about the horrific situation involving Tulsa oral surgeon Dr. Scott Harrington. She shared her thoughts on the situation, what she saw in Dr. Harrington’s practice, and what she believes will come of this black eye for dentists around the nation.

Kevin Henry: Now that this case has been out in the media, what are your overall thoughts?
Susan Rogers: We all expect professionals to do what they should do, but there is the 1% out there who doesn’t. Whether it’s cutting costs or ignoring things because they don’t care, there is the 1% who are not professional. In this case, there was a dentist who was allowing his dental assistants to do IV sedations. Patients may see what is going on, but they truly don’t understand what it means to have an assistant start that IV. As a profession and as the state board, we don’t want to scare people from going to the dentist. We don’t want people not to go to the dentist.

This has become a huge issue because we believe it’s the first documented case of hepatitis C coming from a dental practice. It’s a strong strain of it as well because this individual got very sick within one to two months of contracting the disease.

Consider reading: Tulsa dental patients screened after investigation of dentist
Consider reading: OSAP comments on Tulsa oral surgeon's infection control violations
Consider reading: RDH Infection Control columist: Reassure patients of your safety procedures

Henry: How did this story unfold?
Rogers: This story came to us. Since 2003 in the state of Oklahoma, there have been only three public notifications from the health department, and it’s the first involving a dental office. I have a friend who was affected by one of the other instances and contracted hepatitis C, so when the call came from the health department about Dr. Harrington’s practice, I had a very sick feeling because I knew what was coming. When the initial investigators went there, they were physically sick by what they found. I was literally sick the whole weekend from what I heard.

We went in on a Monday morning with an unannounced visit. We started going through the logs, and we were stunned by what we found. I couldn’t imagine that there was a dentist stupid enough to allow his dental assistants to do anesthesia. Our first priority was to let the health department complete their portion of the investigation, then get the practice shut down once we found what we thought we would find. I interviewed an assistant and asked her to walk me through me her daily procedures. She told me the first thing she did was to have the patients and come in, and she would start the IV. My first thought was, “Oh my goodness.” The doctor would have the assistants log what they were doing. I looked at the log and asked her why there were different drugs in different amounts for different patients. She told me she calculated the dosage in her head. If they were heavy, she added a little more of the drug. I was horrified. I asked her how she knew if they were asleep. She told me she touched the patient’s eyelashes and talked to the patient. If they weren’t asleep, then the doctor would come in. So she was putting people to sleep with no oversight at all. Oversight and supervision are two completely different things, and neither was happening here. Let’s be clear about this … dental assistants can’t insert a needle into a patient in Oklahoma. At all. Period. We know that one to four people die each year under IV sedation and for this doctor to allow an assistant to do it is truly unbelievable.

Next, we went through the needle protocol and I was counting the violations in my head. I asked the assistant to pull the instruments out of the autoclave and I was stunned. When we do an investigation, the first sign to us that something might be wrong is old, dingy equipment. It doesn’t save money to have outdated equipment or cut corners when it comes to safety. In this office, we found an old autoclave where the instruments were being wrapped in a baby diaper towel. I looked at the instruments and saw they were rusted. One was peeling or had debris still on it. I couldn’t believe it.

The dentist kept saying that he had practiced for 36 years and never had a problem. I told him he was very lucky.

There were two assistants, and we split them up because we wanted to get the absolute truth out of them. One wasn’t as forthright with her information as the other. They told us they had always done things in the manner they described to us since they started working at the practice, and they truly might not have known that it was wrong. However, ignorance of the law is no excuse. You can pick up the phone and call someone to ask. You can send an e-mail. It’s your practice. As the state board, we want people to tell us what they want to do in their practice. We can then make some recommendations and help them. Please ask questions. Please read the law.

Henry: What was your reaction after you left the practice that day?
Rogers: We left and went to lunch. We knew what was getting ready to happen. On the drive back from Tulsa, I called my board members, and I honestly didn’t even know where to start explaining what I had just seen. There was so much that was so wrong. I knew a letter had to go out to patients, but I also knew his practice was over once that letter went out. Dentists can come back from losing their license, but they don’t come back from something like this. There’s no recovery.

Henry: What will be the fallout from this, in Oklahoma and around the nation?
Rogers: There are people who say we need cheaper treatment and intermediary workers. No we don’t! It’s not supposed to work that way. You want someone who is trained to perform a procedure actually performing that procedure, unlike the dental assistants at this practice.
I think we’ll be doing more of a lockdown on dental assistants who are in the operatory area. You may see dental assistants coming to get permits before they can be in the operatory.

13 Comments

The2thdoc  2 hours ago
Doesn't the state of Oklahoma make periodic inspections of dental practices? My state makes unannounced inspections every couple of years and wants to see our sterilization practices and results of weekly spore tests.

RDH, MSDH  3 hours ago
WV requires all dentists and registered dental hygienists to take an infection control course for licensure. However, taking the course and implementing the information are two different things. Proper infection control requires spending money. This dentist is approximately 60 years old. They were teaching autoclaving when he was a student. The use of bleach for sterilizing instruments was not being taught. Bleach is too corrosive. It corrodes metal.

WV also requires an additional permit and education to administer IV sedation. General dentists should not be doing procedures that require IV sedation. Oral surgeons do procedures which would require IV sedation. Oral surgeons have 3-4 years additional education after their general dentistry degree.

It is lucky that none of the patients died from improperly administered IV sedation!

Cher  5 hours ago
I agree with all of the above concerning government controls, DA certification, etc.. However, what happened to our Code of Ethics. As a manufacturer's representative and a RDH, it is frustrating that more DDS and offices will not take the time to learn about new products. They won't come to convention floors where the new products and training can occur. When we want to visit your office, you won't let us talk to you. I realize time is valuable, but look what happens when there is lack of education on new infection control products and/ or price becomes an objection to the best option. Demand that your dental supply person keeps you updated on all the latest information and gets you training. Or contact the manufacturer for training directly. We, as manufacturer reps, want to help you. Dentistry is a great profession and we make a difference! Let's keep it safe.

Gene Gant  6 hours ago
Excuse Me, Every one is Over reacting... This case is bad, I agree... But we do not need more government Control. The Factories, who make Autoclaves, The Dental Supplies Who Sale Autoclaves should be give courses, training, To The Doctors and Dental Office Personnel. My Specialty Is Autoclaves, Sterilizers. When People purchase a mail Order Autoclave they get No Training...Educ­ation is whats Needed, Not Government Control, I Have Read, People Parish Because of Lack Of Knowledge!!!

Moosie Sojka  2 days ago
Mandatory credentialing for all dental assistants is the answer. The time has come, come on dental professionals get on it!

Moosie Sojka  2 days ago
National movement for mandatory credentialing come on dental professionals get on it!

Belinda Spencer  2 days ago
I have been a Dental Assistant for twent five years. I am certified by the National Board, I have my Coronal polishing, and EFDA. I would never perform duties that were not legal for me to do. I would leave the practice if something was going on that I was not comfortable with and also report it. I have invested a lot of time, money and effort in my Dental Assisting career. I also keep up with CEs and the patients safety is my priority.

Belinda Spencer  2 days ago
I have been a Dental Assistant for about twenty five years, I am certified by the National Board, I have my coronal polishing, and EFDA. I would never perform any duties that are legal for me to do, I would leave the practice if there was something going on that I was not comfortable with and also report it.

Karen Ramos  2 days ago
I agree wit MikeDonna Kisch. Unfortunately in some states, including my own, dentists can still hire someone off the street and "train them their way." This is a perfect example why formal training and certification is necessary and should be required, so that patients are not put at risk. Guaranteed that a properly trained DA would not have put up with this type of behavior, but it's different when you don't know any better. This is an unfortunate situation because people are already so nervous to go to dentists, this just adds to that fear.

MikeDonna Kisch  2 days ago
The more certified we have to be as assistants the more valuable we become. As an assistant I felt over looked in the office. We should be invested in more. We should recieve regular training and be expected to earn CE credits.
[*/quote*]

Note:
I copy this article in full for the fair use of a political work to support scientific medicine and to support patients' rights.

Source:
"Exclusive interview with Susan Rogers of the Oklahoma Board of Dentistry on Dr. Scott Harrington
By Kevin Henry, Managing Editor, Dental Economics"
http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/2013/03/exclusive-interview-with-susan-rogers-of-the-oklahoma-board-of-d.html
"Dental Economics, a practice management magazine, helps dentists improve their practices through sound business advice and the latest information on new dental products including the latest advances in dental technology."
SUBSCRIBE:
http://www.dentistryiq.com/subscribe.html

[Quellenangabe ergänzt, Julian]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:42:18 PM by ama »

Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami

Your gift to the American Red Cross will support our disaster relief efforts to help those affected by the earthquake in Japan and tsunami throughout the Pacific. On those rare occasions when donations exceed American Red Cross expenses for a specific disaster, contributions are used to prepare for and serve victims of other disasters.

Thymian

.         Im Angesicht von Gewalt ist Höflichkeit gegenstandslos.
.         At face with violence politeness is pointless.

.         (User TNT in the former CDU forum)
--------------------------------------- * --------------------------------------- * ---------------------------------------

Krik

Stand: 4360
REVOLUTION!
Pages: [1]