Hospital Santa Monica        Back

Mercury Amalgam Fillings

Medical research has proven that mercury, commonly contained in silver amalgam fillings, is a highly poisonous metal to the human body.  Repeated exposure can lead to the debilitation of the immune system and other sickness; such as, Alzheimer's disease, multiple sclerosis, depression, kidney failure, allergies and other related illnesses.  Here are a few of the alarming facts about mercury amalgam fillings:

  1.  Causes Damage to Brain to Children
In February, 1998, a group of the world's top mercury researchers announced that mercury from amalgam fillings can permanently damage the brain, kidneys and immune system of children.

  2.  Amalgam Fillings Linked to Neurological Problems, Gastrointestinal Problems
The first large-scale epidemiological study of mercury and adverse reactions was recently completed and showed that, of the symptoms looked at, there was a link seen between mercury and gastrointestinal problems, sleep disturbances, concentration problems, memory disturbances, lack of initiative, restlessness, as well as bleeding gums and other mouth disorders.

  3.  Mercury/Alzheimer's Disease Connection Found
A study related to mercury and Alzheimer's disease was recently completed by a team of scientists led by well-respected researcher Dr. Boyd Haley.  They exposed rats to levels of mercury vapor diluted to account for size differences between humans and rats.  The rats developed tissue damage "indistinguishable from that of Alzheimer's disease."  Repeating the experiment showed the same results.  Dr. Haley is quoted as saying, "I'm getting the rest of my fillings taken out right now and I've asked my wife to have hers replaced, too."

  4.  Amalgam Fillings Since 1970's Unstable
Research now shows that the type of mercury fillings that began to be used in the 1970's, non-gamma-2 (high copper), releases many times more mercury than the older style of amalgam fillings making them much more toxic to the individual.

  5.  Amalgam Fillings Release Highly Toxic Elemental Mercury
Mercury is one of the most toxic substances known to man.  The mercury released from amalgam fillings is absorbed primarily as highly toxic elemental mercury vapor.

  6.  Amalgam Fillings Largest Source of Mercury by Far
Based on a number of studies in Sweden, the World Health Organization review of inorganic mercury in 1991 determined that mercury absorption is estimated to be approximately four times higher from amalgam fillings than from fish consumption.  Recent studies have confirmed this estimate and shown that the amount absorbed can vary considerably from person to person.

  7.  Gold Crowns, Gum, Bruxism, Computer Monitors Increase Release of Mercury Significantly
Gum chewing, bruxism (grinding of teeth), computer terminal exposure, presence of gold fillings or gold crowns (even if covering mercury fillings), teeth brushing, braces and even chewing food cause the release of significantly increased amounts of mercury from the fillings in one's teeth.

  8.  Cumulative Poison Builds Up in Organs
Mercury released from fillings builds up in the brain, kidneys, liver, pituitary, adrenals and other parts of the body.  

  9.  Mercury Amalgam Fillings Effect Porphyrins
Preliminary results from the first detailed biochemical analysis of patients who removed mercury amalgam fillings showed a significant drop in the excretion of porphyrins (important to heme synthesis - heme carries oxygen to red blood cells), as well as a number of other key biochemical changes.

10.  Potential Contributory Factor in Other Diseases
Mercury from amalgam fillings has been implicated as a possible contributory factor in some cases of multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, irritable bowel syndrome, reproductive disorders, allergies and a variety of other illnesses.

11.  Mercury Build Up in Brain and Vital Organs of Fetuses
Mercury from fillings in pregnant women has been shown to cause mercury accumulation in the brain, kidneys and liver of human fetuses, which are all of the areas tested.  Studies show that mercury can be passed to infants from breast milk.

12.  Proper Removal of Fillings Produces Eventual Health Improvement
A recent survey in Sweden showed that of 268 patients who removed amalgam fillings, 80% showed permanent health improvement.  Three-fourths of those that improved did so within 6 months, while one-fourth of those who improved did not show improvement until after 6 months.  There were no signs of the positive effects disappearing, as might be expected with a placebo effect.

13.  World Renowned Experts Agree about Potential Danger
In contrast to statements from dental trade organizations, toxicologists and medical researchers are often quite concerned about the use of mercury.  Lars Friberg, the lead toxicologist on the World Health Organization team looking at inorganic mercury and health effects recently stated that he believes that mercury is unsuitable for dental materials because of safety concerns.

14.  Canadian Class Action Lawsuit
Canadians are in the process of beginning a major class action lawsuit based on the fact that the government knew of, but did not warn the public about mercury dangers from amalgam fillings.

Not everyone experiences acute toxicity effects from the mercury in amalgam fillings.  However, virtually everyone does have mercury build up in their bodies from implantation of such fillings.  The large increase in mercury exposure from the newer non-gamma-2 mercury fillings means that only time will tell how much damage has been caused by daily exposure to mercury from such fillings.

One should not automatically assume that they will be healed by the removal of amalgam fillings.  Many people are helped tremendously and some are healed.  The 80% figure for people showing improvement within a year likely refers to people who had good reason to suspect that they were being significantly effected by the fillings.  The percentage of people in the general population who might experience health improvement within one year after removal is probably much lower than 80%.  One should go into the mercury amalgam removal procedure knowing that, at the very least, they will have removed themselves from a regular exposure to an extremely toxic material, so that it will not build up in their organs and possibly cause significant health problems at a later date.

Mercury amalgam fillings should be removed only by dentists, such as ours, with experience using the IOAMT mercury amalgam removal protocol.  Our dentists are experienced with proper evaluation and placement of composite fillings, both of which can be crucial for the success of the treatment.  Biocompatability tests are often important in determining which composite materials can be safely used.  By and large, composite (plastic) fillings are a better replacement than metal (e.g., gold) fillings, even in chemically sensitive individuals.

If you are interested in a dental evaluation and/or any dental procedures during your stay at Hospital Santa Monica, be sure to mention this in your admission process.  Since you can save up to 80% of what you would pay for dental services in the US, it would make sense to have it done while you are at Hospital Santa Monica for treatment.